Thursday, November 18, 2010

The wisdom of not crowds:

I don't find social search that useful.

Friends don't need to all have similar interests. That makes it useful for them to be a target demographic to market things to however...

Our unique individual different interests from the rest of our friends might clutter up the "relevancy" of social search results. We sometimes keep those differing interests to ourselves as it is awkward and problematic at times to reveal all interests to everyone at all times.

And if it is in an autonomous format, then it will be annoying to be receiving posts from people that are about things you yourself are not interested in. I see this as accelerating clique-ish behavior in a negative outcome.
In a more positive outcome perhaps people may finally mature enough to realize... well, they probably won't mature enough to understand and accept that everyone has several different things they are interested in that are not all the same as each other in order to be a complex and non-one dimensional human being. This feels like a bit of a step backwards.


I mean the heck do I know. I refuse to use major social networking platforms on purpose because I relish obscure, arcane, esoteric things and like there being a combination of amature, professional, mainstream and underground channels to obtain information from. Maybe jamming it all into one or a few giant mainstream channels and forcing it all to assimilate into something for mainstream people isn't a bad thing.

I mean, we'll still be able to look up things we ourselves are trying to look up, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment