There is a war going on within our culture and in people's day to day lives.
I am not talking so much of a massive horrible conspiracy of that kind you see done up on eclectic web pages which utilize many many moving .gifs and have strange fonts as I am about one which I choose to frame in terms of competing factors and details in the internal and external environment. Some of these include the cultural landscape, psychological mindscape, and physiological needs.
We fight external distractions, and seek meaning. We have portions of our subconscious being a prick. Getting in the way. Giving you a hard time about overcoming fears, doing the right thing, reminding you of things you're trying not to remember, and pestering you with reminders about emotional desires.
We also have eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom and mortality to take into account.

2 comments:
I hate that the first thing I thought of was, "The id, or humanity: getting in the way of conquering the need to poop."
In all seriousness though, the battlefield metaphor is a good one. In fact, it's been used pretty heavily throughout culture as people try to reconcile mind and body vs culture and learned behavior.
Thanks.
Post a Comment