Saturday, October 30, 2010

Interview: Enemy Mine(field):

Not that good a movie by the way but maybe still worth a look at.
Anyway,... decided to interview my co-author.
So I was waiting in the lobby near a reception desk... after having set an appointment. After the secretary said he was free to see people I started asking him some stuff and here's what he said back:

1.) My favorite colour is kind of a silly question to ask, but here goes. I like Black, blue, green, and bluegreen. Really I actually like the same colours as you know who...
Yeah we know them
2.) Asthetically I kind of dig some of the old Romantic works. European Romanticism is kind of looked down upon these days, but there is beauty in it. I am someone who likes beauty. I guess there are plenty of redeeming movements. It's not a question of movement to me, but individual works that could be good or bad. There are a few exceptions because sometimes an entire style is just terrible, but that is rare.

3.) As far as music goes, friends for the most part got me into most of the Music that I like. Punk rock was what my sister was listening to when I was a teenager. This was around when Hot Topic was just becoming known, but already there was some idea that it was trying to hijack various aesthetics, and turn them into something commercial. Still at the time the phrase "Punk Rock" wasn't associated with the joke it is today. Sure there were kids listening to Green Day, but at the time most people could still tell the difference.

Later on I realized that other forms of music were actually decent to listen to (this didn't diminish my love for punk though.) A few friends of mine got me into Bowie, and later still I started listening to Bob Dylan. Honestly, a lot of music is pretty good, and a lot is pretty terrible, but this is subjective. A lot of people also associate music with memories and such things. Someone can be absolutely insulted that you don't like Iron Butterfly, because the first time you heard In a Gadda Da Vida was also the first time you got lucky or whatever. For someone else, In a Gadda Da Vida tastes like rotting vegetables. (Synesthesia) I still come by new music all the time that I like, but maybe it isn't new. Maybe it's been there all along, but I haven't been exposed to it.

2 comments:

Corporate Overlord said...

So it was my secretary who let you in? Sheesh you just can't trust that woman!

Advocate said...

She let me set an appointment. :|

Post a Comment