I've been having an interesting conversation with my coauthor about how part of the decay in society or its dysfunction surging may stem from the replacement of social values with market (driven?) values and thought a topic as rich as that deserves some fleshing out.
In the meantime I noticed that perhaps our values are skewed and backwards in that regard but perhaps taken a different way. Specifically I observed out in the public discourse collective/sphere making fun of individuals seems to be all fine and good but as soon as you start making fun of products sooner or later a brand-loyalist fanboy (who seems to derive an almost sort of tribal sense of self-identity associated with preferring his or her brand of thing A, B, C of choice and how much better he or she thinks it is than all X, Y, Zs) will blow a gasket.
P.S.: The snide sounding title refers not to his conversation I picked up bits and pieces of that stuck with me but to the latter observation where (some) people will go "How dare you suggest my favorite ______[insert blank brand thing] isn't the very best in the world and furthermore, why won't you agree with me on my opinion that everything else that isn't that one sucks mightily?"
No comments:
Post a Comment